Sunday, January 1, 2017

New Year's Eve Memories

As I was cleaning the kitchen this morning my mind drifted back to my teenage years and all the New Year's Eve's celebrated back then.

I don't remember much about New Year's Eve when I was in elementary school. I am guessing my sisters and I begged to stay up, watched Dick Clark countdown on the television while my parents played Rook with friends and drank lots of coffee.

When we lived in Old Hickory and dad was preaching at Tulip Grove, they started having friends over on New Years and would have a singing and everyone brought desserts and/or finger foods to munch on. I think this started when Dad was preaching at Piney River but not exactly sure.

I remember when we were teenagers and the event was at Mrs. Millie's. The teenagers got to have their party in the basement while the adults were upstairs. Lots of great memories with Tony, Melanie and the rest of the group.

Once we moved to Dickson County in 1993, mom and dad continued the singing New Year's Eve. They quit holding it a few years ago because the attendance kept dropping.

As an adult, I have been downtown Nashville once on New Years.  I went to see Tim McGraw in concert the year the Arena first opened with a friend. Other than Hockey games on New Years Day, I rarely will even venture near the craziness of the crowds in cities anymore. I just don't do huge crowds very well these days.

However you brought in the new year, enjoy every day you have. We are not guaranteed another day. Love those you have with you and those far from home. Reach out and let them know you are thinking of them.

I have a roast and veggies in the crock pot, have cleaned the kitchen, working on my 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee and starting a new journaling book today.

Take care and share the hotline number if you know someone who needs it. 1-800-799-7233