Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Food, Recipes, Memories

Somewhere around 2010, I got sick and tired of cooking. It was no longer a joy. It was a huge chore and something I came to despise for years. The kids were grown and gone and I was working 2nd shift and things were very abusive and manipulating at home.

In 2012 when I moved back to Tennessee, I tried to get back into the mood of cooking again just because I was craving a certain thing (Fried Green Tomatoes that summer). However, it was not easy to be comfortable cooking in someone else's kitchen and to avoid confrontation and keep the peace, I just quit cooking at the house all together.

Then, in the spring of 2015, I decided to try baking again. I started baking chocolate mint brownies and taking them to David's work as a treat for their 12 hour Saturdays at the dealership. By the fall of 2015, I was becoming more and more comfortable in our kitchen and trying recipes new and old during the week and over the weekends.

I have since learned how to make David's mom's Chicken Salad, Pimento Salad and picked his sister's brain for recipe tips as I needed them.

 I have resurrected the habit of my chicken/rice I started making when I was a young mom stationed in Panama Canal Zone. Ahh, I do love comfort food, even though it add weight to me that I sure don't need.

All of us girls were given the recipe for Mama Mac's Chocolate Chess Pie. I haven't made it in a while and nearly burnt it two weeks ago.. but tried again last week and happy to report that this time the pie came out great the first time and was a hit with my sweetie.

A few months ago, I started baking banana bread again (I think while I was working at Kroger's in Produce and saw the bananas were so cheap). Now, I usually bake 2 loaves at a time and it does me good to see David enjoying it and happy to share it with his co-workers.

We may gain a few pounds but both of us love food and love to cook. (David is better at it than I am.)

What do you cook and prepare that reminds you of family members or just brings you great joy? I look forward to hearing from you! Be sure and comment below!