Thursday, October 20, 2016

Long Term Issues resulting from Abuse

My friend and fellow survivor Becca told me today a story that I had never considered.

She gave me permission to share it with all of you so that you can be aware as well.

" I discovered a long term ramification from the head blows when i was married. I got divorced in 03' & haven't been in beat in the head again since. His favorite place to hit me was there. I actually have optic nerves damage that I didn't know about until now. I have to wear bifocals & have glaucoma. 

He didn't want the marks to show so that is why he chose to hit my head. He didn't like the questions & I couldn't wear long sleeves or pants in summer.
 
We were married from 97-03. This is something that women in domestic violence need to be aware of (who are escaping and free now). They should get checked out. Optic nerves cannot be rebuilt unfortunately. I had no idea. I do realize that a woman can sue for damages within a certain time frame after leaving an abusive partner. That time has passed for me unfortunately. 

I now have to come up with $360 to pay for no-line bifocals (because I am vain and don't want to look 'old').

Insurance will not pay for this but I will figure this out, I always do."

Becca offered me this story today from her life to educate others, so that if you are being hit in the head, get yourself checked out and be mindful of others that are survivors of abuse. Health problems can haunt you as well as emotional issues as you come out of an abusive life and learn to cope with a peaceful life.

I wish you all peace, please always lend a hand to help others and lift each other up.
The number for the domestic violence hotline is 1-800-799-7233.