Monday, October 3, 2016

Flying Solo

Sometimes you take that leap and then wonder, did I do the right thing?

I am certain I am exactly where I am supposed to be and I am super thankful for the opportunities I have been given.

Last week I trained and learned new terms and vocabulary/jargon for the printing industry. It was a lot to take in and some of the words/phrases are still bouncing around in my head as I put them to use and figure out the ins/outs of my job.

I never knew shipping products involved so much logistics or all the math that would go into running a printing plant. I am very thankful I learned to operate an adding machine a long time ago.

Way back in 1986 when I had Typing 101 at MJHS, I never imagined I would use that one skill every day both in home business and my work life.

I am learning new things, quite a bit anxious and hoping I get it all correct. But at the end of the day and with the help of a great co-worker, we got everything accomplished. 

To quote the words of a former supervisor... "Check, Re-Check and Verify". I thought of him a lot today while I was going over and over packing lists, work orders and manifests to be sure I had the details correct.

When You are starting a new job or business, you can't sit there and not know what is going on. You have to study, make an effort to learn and educate yourself. Then, if you can't figure it out, that is the time to ask questions. Those training you will see you making an effort and not giving up.

If you need help, you have to ask for it.
Be open to listening to your friends and co-workers. You never know who is going through something crazy at home and everyone needs a shoulder to lean on or a listening ear now and then.

This is Domestic Violence Awareness month - so please be aware and please share this number with those you think could use it now or later. 1-800-799-7233.