Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Time to heal

The older I get, the more I love an afternoon nap. I know when we are sleeping our body is either healing or recharging and sometimes both are going on.

I am on my second round of antibiotics for the spider bite. I am exhausted and so very thankful I don't have an hour drive to work anymore. Labor Day was a normal workday here in my household. For the first time in many years, I was scheduled to work on this holiday.

Since my spider bite was still in healing mode but I had run out of antibiotics and was still in terrible pain, I returned to the hospital for a re-check. They took my vitals and I sat on a gurney in the hallway because all their exam rooms were full on Labor Day. No other doctor's offices or urgent care facilities were open, so they were pretty busy. The doctor explained the healing process and just how ugly my bite mark could get, and gave me stronger antibiotics and 2 days off work with orders to stay off my feet as much as possible.

Yesterday I did a few chores around the house and took advantage of nap time as well. My friend and Jewelry Consultant Denise came by to bring me the free items I earned with my party and the orders for my friends in Nashville. It's funny, she and David both were telling me the same thing about this health issue, let myself heal, rest and try not to worry.

Some of my biggest struggles are worry and anxiety (or being anxious). Sometimes, I believe I have these issues behind me, then I get hit with a situation I never saw coming. So I take another deep breath and try to let go of the worry again.

Healing from a physical wound is similar to healing from emotional wounds. At least with this bite, I can look at my leg and tell if the place is inflamed, getting larger or getting smaller and drying up. Not that easy with emotional wounds.  But I have learned that If I can talk about things in my past without choking up or crying, that I am getting over things.

Both type of wounds take time to get over. Lots of prayer and man's medications are the tools I choose to use. I know I have to take care of myself and do my part even if I feel horribly guilty taking a nap due the medications or life in general has me worn out.

Take care of yourself. You cannot fully take care of others, if you are falling apart yourself.

Check on your friends and acquaintances often. You never know if that quick phone call or text could be the one bright spot in their day or week.

If you are in danger, please get help, don't wait for that abusive person to change! Call 1-800-799-7233 for assistance all over the USA.