Saturday, July 30, 2016

Illness and Depression

Many people you see and work with have chronic illnesses you may never realize.

Some people hide their illnesses and others use them as a way to get things out of the system.

I have asthma and COPD (If you believe the doctor's diagnosis). This might slow me down at times when my breathing is very labored or my coughing is really bad, however, this rarely completely stops me unless something else is going on.  Back in March, I knew something was wrong when I was cold every day and my cough was different than normal. Turned out that I had a case of Strep Throat with a touch of the flu and missed 4 days of work. It was rough.

I deal with depression and I realized today that the way I deal with my depression is very different that others I know. I say this because we as a society don't always understand when others want to be alone and left alone and potentially get our feelings hurt or damage relationships because we don't know what is really going on with others.

It is not my job to make you feel good about my illness, explain my illness or tell you everytime I am down and out.  Sometimes we just have a bad day and truly just need to be left alone.

Do your research and if you have a friend or acquaintance going through a lot of health issues, please realize they are probably dealing with depression /anxiety on some level and they may not want to hear from you, chit chat with you or even see you or answer the phone/email you sent.  Give them time and don't judge. Give them space and be there for them, but realize it may take a few days or so for them to get back to you.

I don't believe in using diagnoses as a way to get away with things or gain things/money from others. That is still stealing and being a con artist in my opinion. 

Take a step back and realize that it is not personal if you don't hear from someone as soon as you would like.  Give them space and let them know you are there when they feel better.  Maybe a postcard or thinking of you card sent to their home address will let them know you are thinking of them without invading their space.

My friend from 8th grade doesn't always answer me the same day I call her or text her, but eventually she gets back with me.  If I get that feeling that something may seriously be wrong, I do call and text and she lets me know she is ok. After 32 years, I know when to push and call until I hear something and when to let it slide.

Take care of yourself, and always be kind every day.  If you need assistance, please call 1-800-799-7233