Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Viewpoint

I grew up in the late 70's and graduated High School in 1988. I have lived in Middle TN most of my 45 years on this Earth.

As I see photos of friends children who are in school or home-schooled and all the many differences that folks fight over and put each other down over, I sit back and just shake my head.

I have one sister that is a school teacher and another sister who home-schools her children. All 3 of us were raised and attended public schools. All 3 of us attended State Universities here in Tennessee and we were brought up nearly the same way depending on our birth order.

My middle sister and I are only 3 1/2 years apart and were dressed alike and have many of the same memories and teachers and even friends because we went through exactly the same schools.

My youngest sister is 10 years and a week younger than I. We graduated from different places and don't have many friends or memories in common from our childhood. We all have very different personalities and perspectives but we all definitely have some similar characteristics.

I am the only one of the three of us with 2 divorces who raised her children as a single mom. I have no regrets, but I do have a very different view of life than those who have never been divorced, abused, cheated on or abandoned. 

Parenting takes on many faces and in most cases the differences are not harmful to the child. However, be cautious about what you are teaching your child. Are you teaching them to be entitled or enlightened?

Here are two examples that seem to be so foreign to most people I read about on facebook these days:

1)  I rode the bus 98% of my 12 years in school. The only time I didn't is when I got sick at school and had to be really sick for mom/dad to pick me up or if I had a doctor/dentist appointment.

2) I also ate in the school cafeteria 95% of my 12 years in school. It was normal for me and I pretty much raised my kids the same way.

Even though the three of us have very different outlooks, we do have the same background in most cases.

I encourage everyone to see past their differences and learn instead of fighting about them.