Sunday, January 17, 2016

Check your attitude

Things happen, you overspend, you run that red light or you are late to work, sometimes you might even forget to pack your little boy's lunch.  You may feel horrible as a person, employee, or parent, but God doesn't see you that way. He knows you are human and as a dear friend told me this week, accidents happen and we have to stop being so hard on ourselves.

Whatever you are faced with, it will all work out. All of these things I listed above are the little things and though they are aggravating and could ruin our day or our attitude, just take a deep breath and let it go. You will be better off in the long run and have a much better day if you don't focus on that little negative all day long.

There are much bigger things to be concerned with. You could have a child and/or parent dealing with a debilitating illness and treatment and trust me that does wear you down considerably. It is like a big black cloud hovering over your shoulder every day and every minute.

Another friend suggested I take that worry and put it on the shelf so that I can function through out the day and I had never really looked at things that way. I used to just sweep them under the rug and trip over them day after day and hour after hour.

Everyone has things that worry them and I will be the first to tell you there is no shame in seeking therapy or choosing medication either. But please keep all things in balance and get up and do something every day. Activity (even a little bit) will make all the difference.  For me this year, I am determined to get up and away from my desk at least 20-30 minutes a day at work to walk around the building and so far it is helping my perspective and my attitude quite nicely.

If you are in danger, seek assistance through the Hotline 1-800-799-7233 or the local shelter. There are programs in place to help you.