Sunday, December 27, 2015

Mixing of Old and New Traditions

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas with their family, friends and loved ones.

I was privileged and blessed to spend Christmas with David's family in West Tennessee. It was an adult Christmas and I thoroughly enjoyed the time spend with his sister and her family and learning lots of the Parish family holiday traditions while Laura made them her own as well.It was a simple Christmas with the company and conversation being much more important than any gift under the tree.

We drove west on Christmas Eve and had lunch with the family upon arrival, then the countdown started as Laura prepared all the wonderful food we would have that evening before going to Christmas Eve Mass at St. Elisabeth's Episcopal Church in Bartlett, TN.

We had a superb meal of Prime Rib, Fingerling potatoes, asparagus and a splendid chocolate dessert.

Then for the first time in my life, I attended a Christmas Eve church service. The church was decorated beautifully with red poinsettia's and evergreen branches throughout the building. I wish now that I had stopped and taken some photos of the decor. There was singing, prayer and communion and a very peaceful atmosphere. The church even had a pajama service planned for Christmas day where the children can attend in their pajamas. I though that was a very cute idea.

I am learning traditions new to me and refusing to hang on to the old memories of Christmases past that only brought me down. 

The moral of my Christmas Story is to embrace the new, cherish the love and let go of the past so you can freely fly into your future.

Please don't live your life in fear of anything or anyone.