Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Family Time

Many of us are going to be seeing family this weekend for Thanksgiving.

First thing I want to suggest, Is that everyone stay thankful. Many families are fractured and in different cities over the holidays due to many reasons (Military Service, Jobs, Geography and Finances are just a few that come to mind).

There is no right or wrong way to celebrate or ignore this holiday. Some people are having a friends gathering, or going out to lunch together or going to the movies and some celebrate by shopping. All are fine to do.

The thing I have learned the most in my life time is to not expect a picture perfect holiday scene.


The biggest and best suggestions for the holidays is to not be nosy. Take things at face value and do not assume you have the right to ask personal questions.   I personally do my best to avoid the person who is/was talking my ear off about stuff I truly didn't care to hear and I certainly didn't want to give them information that I knew they would spread elsewhere.

Some will attend events alone, some will leave early or arrive late. Many families have 2 or 3 events to get to on Thanksgiving and believe me they are just as stressed out as the ones who don't have anywhere to go.  The etiquette coach on the local radio station stressed arriving on time today but sometimes you just can't get everyone at a certain time.

Leave your stress at the door (or in your vehicle) and just enjoy the family you do have around you.
Those who truly love you will understand when you have had enough and need to go for a walk and get out and away from the noise.

If you are in danger, seek help.
Call 1-800-799-7233 for the domestic violence help line.