Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Overwhelming Love

I Corinthians 13:4-7 NIV
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

 Love is a 4-letter word that means so many different things to so many different people. 
People say they love Mexican food, their jobs, their children, grandchildren, spouses, family and friends.

This day and age I am one to closely choose who I use this word with. Love does not come easy for me at all. 

Many in my past who claimed to love me have left me, abandoned me, or even hurt me and those in my close family circle. That is not what I want in my life. Love is an action verb because you can see by someone's actions how they truly feel about a person. If you question what they are doing, then just ask them. You really don't know their journey or why they act a certain way if you just sit back and watch them.
  
I am here to say that when you are loved on and poured into by a truly loving family (or a particular circle of friends), you have no choice but to pour that love out to others in your life.  

Love is being there day in, day out, no matter what and supporting someone through all of life's challenges. When you are met at the backdoor with open arms in the family of someone you truly deeply care about, you may be swirling in many emotions.

This past weekend, I met some extended family and was met with open arms by all of them. They welcomed us into their home, we had meals together, talked for hours and went to church together on Sunday before we had to return to the daily workweek here in Dickson. I felt so loved in those two days that it is truly hard to put into words.  I was overcome with love and tears and thankfulness to this family that has taken me in with open arms and welcomed me as part of their clan. 

Being loved without question or condition is simply a beautiful thing. However, if you are in a relationship that is conditional on you doing something for another person, you are in a dangerous situation. Please know that there is hope for the future for all of us! 

Don't despair in your current situation and keep yourself in a Bible-based church, go to work everyday and do the tasks in front of you until something else changes. Put God First and all the other blessings will be given unto you. 

If you are in a dangerous situation and need assistance, please write down the domestic violence hotline number and save it in your phone 1-800-799-7233.