Friday, July 10, 2015

No Apologies Required

I would guess that all of us have people in our lives that thrive on putting us down or criticizing us for anything and everything.  Some of us are lucky enough to be able to delete that person from our lives and move on without that constant badgering and negativity on our backs.  However, some of us cannot extract ourselves from the relationship with this person because of many reasons.

But, you can always put up boundaries and tell the person you refuse to talk about certain subjects with them. You have the right to privacy and boundaries are the perfect way to keep people out of your business. Some people are better when held at arm's length (or even the proverbial 10 foot pole, lol.)

Today I had to tell someone in my life that the questions they were asking me were simply none of their business.  They got very irate with me and continued the verbal attacks on me as a person and my choices in my past and my present.  This is not the first time this person has verbally attacked me but today, it got to me. For a short while today, I allowed anger to rule my life and that stole my personal joy for the day.

I had to have a talk with myself, read some scripture and get my head on straight again ... Then I realized that this person is ill and most likely won't recall a single thing they said to me today when I next am in their home.

I continue to pray for God to heal this very broken and fractured relationship that has lasted since I was 14 years of age. At this point all I can do is distance myself from this person and be as civil as possible when I am with them.

Many moons ago, I realized that I will never receive their approval and I will never do anything right in their eyes or measure up.  While that saddens me to a point, I know that I do not need their approval and their opinion of me will not send me to heaven or hell.

So, today I ask you to stop apologizing for being yourself. Be Bold and Proud out loud for who you are and where you are on your journey. Those attacking you verbally cannot truly know your perspective or the path you have taken.  Therefore, they cannot be expected to see things from your point of view.  Love them if you can, pray for them to be softened towards you but keep your distance as much as you can.  Loving someone from afar is completely possible in these types of situations.

Please seek assistance through the Domestic Violence Hotline if you don't have anyone trustworthy to turn to. 1-800-799-7233