Friday, February 6, 2015

Music: Then & Now

First off, I will be the first to admit that I am no expert in music, but I do know what I like and I find it interesting to look back to the music types I grew up listening to vs. the music I choose to have around me today in 2015.

I grew up listening to either country music on 650 WSM or learning hymns at church.  In all honesty, until I entered MJJHS (7th grade), I didn't even realize that there was other music.  I knew that Nashville, TN was known as Music City and the Grand Old Opry was recorded/seen just 20 minutes from the house every weekend.

So imagine me at the age of 13 being exposed to all different types of music, bands and sounds that I had never heard of.  I can name off radio stations from back then but cannot specifically name a song that defines my Junior High Years.  I do remember asking my dad if I could listen to another station on my radio in my room and then I would spend a lot of time with a cassette tape recording my favorites as they came on the radio.  I seem to recall soft rock and a late night radio call in show called Pillow Talk on 106. (forgive my memory, I don't live there anymore)

Now, high school It was all about Bon Jovi, Guns N Roses and all those types of music.  I was rebelling against anything my parents liked in those days and it was crazy. Our Senior Prom (I did not attend) theme song was "Shot through the Heart" and most of the Bon Jovi songs I can still quote. It would take 21 years for me actually get to a Bon Jovi concert.. And I loved every moment of it. I think it was 2010 with an old friend from high school.

Early in my HS days there was a female artist that became very popular with her brand of contemporary Christian music.  Her name is Amy Grant.  I begged to go see her in concert and had to convince my parents that it was ok music to listen to and not crazy rock & roll.  This would be the first time I would hear Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Steven Curtis Chapman, Phillips, Craig & Dean and even Petra and Stryper. We went to concerts at Koinonia on Saturday nights and it was a great activity for Christian youth in a safe environment.

Then I would go off to college and my first husband was all about rock music and despised country music. So while we were in Panama, as a new mom, the only songs I knew by heart were from the Plunkett's Bible studies and I would just sing them to sleep with amazing grace and other church hymns from memory.  I did a lot of humming if I couldn't find the words (this was before google and the internet to find the words). I actually remember asking my parents to send me a song book from church so I would have something with the words in it. :) I still have those songbooks.

So, over the years, I have listened to nearly everything out there (except for rap and head-banging heavy metal).  When I was dating one guy, I learned all about alternative rock and the music and concerts were a lot of fun too.  Then my second husband listened to a little of everything but I was on the road toward listening to praise/worship music all the time so all of us were pretty agreeable as far as music went.

Somewhere around 2005 or so, I found a Christian radio station and pretty much have stayed loyal to them around the clock all year long. Well, I have to be honest, from Thanksgiving -New Years, I have to have cd's in the car and alternative Christian radio choices because I refuse to listen to Christmas music for 8 weeks of my life.  I simply cannot take it. 

As I have grown up, I have changed a lot but somethings have not changed.. I knew all along where my heart/soul belonged and that Christian music, Gospel Music, Hymns all speak to me in a way that no other music can reach my heart or bring me to tears while I am driving. 

I may not be able to carry a tune any more (or maybe I never could) but I do love music and they way it makes me feel.  Positive music will give you peace and I pray each of you have peace everyday.

If you are in danger, seek help through friends, co-workers or the Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233.