Tuesday, January 20, 2015

No Comparison

Over the past 5 days I caught myself comparing myself to others in many ways. I know that we as Christians only have one ruler to live by and that is the New Testament.

 I am Single, yet I am part of many groups, a few are:
My Church
My Family
My Friends
My Co-workers (TWRA and PartyLite)

This list could go on for a while if I wanted to bore you to death, but I will stop here.

I learned from other leaders in PartyLite this weekend their tips and tricks for sales, sponsoring and building a great team. I learned incentives and contests ahead for our company and many things that were useful to bring back to TN for my growing team here.

I came home overwhelmed with all the work ahead of me to achieve the goals I chose to set for myself. I crossed off nearly every item on my to do list from Sunday by today at lunch time.  So do I feel successful?  Well... Not really. I did the action and that is success in itself because it builds a great habit but I am mentally and physically exhausted.

During the weekend event, I felt empowered and energized to do more and reach higher goals, but at the same time, I felt out-classed, out-numbered and out of place.  I felt stupid asking questions because there are so many new things coming at me.  I love being in a position to help others and truly make a difference but I am on a huge learning curve and fear I will not catch on fast enough.

I heard many other consultants and leaders talk about going home to their spouses and children.  That was when my heart hurt. I had none of that to welcome me home. I had no one waiting anxiously to hear about my trip.  Wait... let me clarify...

A dear friend of mine met me at a local hangout for a meal on Sunday and that was a blessing to me because she cared enough to drive 40 minutes to see me once I arrived home.

Then I received 2 text messages from my church family checking on me asking how my trip was going and that they would see me at Wednesday services.  Those messages blessed me because I have never had a church family quite like the one I have right now.

Being divorced and single at 44 is a rude awakening and I often do my best to stay out of people's radar or way. I don't want to be a pest, be needy or bother them while they are out living their lives and taking  care of their families, etc.  So I Hide in plain sight or in my office doing work to pass the time.

I say all of these things to bring a bitter truth to light. I have earned a new title but I am still the same person on the inside, just a few more jobs to do. I am still a struggling Christian trying to figure out how to get along, pay my bills and stay out of folks way while helping other men/women get out of dangerous home situations by sharing my personal story.

We all are broken, but by being broken we can learn to truly live and we will continue to make mistakes, fail forward and learn along the way.

Join me today in reminding yourself that the only person we are to compare ourselves to is Lord Jesus and his Word. Nothing else matters. No matter what I earn or what title I achieve on this Earth, God blessed me with it and I did not earn it without his blessing and favor.

Matthew 19:26 - But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. (KJV)

If you are in an abusive relationship, please seek a way out. You are in control no matter what the abuser might have told you. 1-800-799-7233 is the Domestic Violence Hotline or call 911 for immediate danger issues.

If this blog has helped you please share it on twitter, facebook and other forms of social media. I completely appreciate your support!