Friday, October 3, 2014

What do you seek?

As I work through these days and weeks called life, my thoughts are muddled and sometimes someone in my life speaks a word to me without even realizing it.

Earlier this week my sister posted a scripture for her own benefit and it spoke to me very loud.

Matthew 6:1-4
1“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
2“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. 

3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

I personally do a lot of fundraising and 'shout-outs' for causes or to brag on my team. This scripture reference spoke to me in that I need not announce every thing I do in an email or comment. God sees all the good and bad we do and he keeps a record of it to judge us by in the end. 

I share this with you so that we can all keep mindful of a teaching that is overlooked by society today where everyone seems to brag on everything they do even if it is just breathing and getting through the day.

Let us continue to do good but know that we do not have to announce it for it to be recognized. God will take care of all that and that is truly all we need.

Find ways to be a light to those going through a dark period and always offer help if you can. If you need assistance please call the hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or call 911 for immediate danger situations.