Monday, October 27, 2014

Service Minded

What comes to mind when you see the phrase "Forever In Service"?

It is the motto of my sorority (Omega Phi Alpha). I pledged in spring of 1989 at MTSU and though I was not very active at the time, I never forgot the friends I made through the organization.

When time came for me to join the ranks as a Girl Scout leader (1997) when my daughter came home from school wanting a sash like her friend "Amanda", I was excited to give back to another organization that had helped to mold me into the person I so desperately wanted to be.

Part of my heart died in 2005 when the troop disbanded but I was blessed to be able to see my daughter earn the Gold Award in 2008 right before graduating high school.

For a while I was 'lost' without a GS troop to lead and chose to spend my time teaching and sharing through my PartyLite business.

I have continued to fundraise with various charities over the years but this past Saturday I was blessed beyond words by the Buddy Walk to benefit Down Syndrome Association of Middle Tennessee (www.somethingextra.org). I was part of a team led by my friend and sorority sister Faithe Logan in celebration of her daughter Dawn Logan. There were 134 teams at Centennial Park and everyone was friendly, kind and helpful if you had any questions.

I have never in all the fundraiser walks that I have done been so moved by kindness and a true atmosphere of family than I was at this event.

I highly encourage you to find a group and/or charity that speaks to you and volunteer your time and talents. You will be rewarded by the friendship and the great feeling you get helping others.

This time will not be wasted if we give to others. Make your time here on earth count for something!

If you are in danger, please ask for help! The hotline for domestic violence is 1-800-799-7233 where you can get assistance and answers.

#OphiA #service #dsamt #lightupthedarkness #babydawn #serve #gsmidtn