Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Honesty: Do you share with everyone?

Over the past few months, I have wanted to ask my ex-husband if he ever intended on being a faithful husband to me. I will probably never ask him that to his face, because I can only guess his answer would be more lies and after 11 years of them, I sure don't need to hear another one.

So, my question is this: Do you consider yourself honest with everyone you deal with or do you reserve your true brutal honesty for only certain people?

I did my best to be honest with my kids (as much as I thought they could handle) and my ex-husband. I didn't always give everyone else that privilege. I made sure my kids knew where I was and what I was doing but I didn't always tell them how bad our finances were.  I always told my ex where I was and who I was with and when I would be home. He never had to wonder where I was or if I was being truthful.

There are people in my life that I keep at arm's length and only tell them what they need to know. Some people will take the information you give them and twist it no matter what you do and those are the people I keep at a distance. I have had supervisors that I could never be completely honest with and I have had supervisors that became my best friend because even though we didn't always get along they always wanted the best for me and my family.

I believe the hardest person to be honest with is yourself.  When you fall short of a goal, you have to look yourself in the mirror and figure out what happened and how to fix it so you can reach that goal the next time.  I also believe all of us need someone we can be honest with in regards to our feelings about life and all the 'stuff' that goes with living this life.

God knows everything you are facing, what you did wrong yesterday, who you fibbed to and who you flat out avoided during the day. Sometimes the best therapy is time in prayer with God to come clean and ask for forgiveness. He loves us no matter how bad things appear to us and his hands are always outstretched for us to come home to.

Think about how much honesty you share on a daily basis and my plan is to be more honest going forward and if I cannot be honest with a person in my life, then perhaps they do not need to be in my life.

It is completely OK to protect yourself and your children but don't sacrifice your beliefs in the meantime. That is a hard thing to come back from. Trust me on this.

Be safe and take care of yourself.