Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Jobs

Most people define themselves by the job or position they hold in the corporate world. What I learned in 2008 when I lost my job was that I am not my job and my life is so much more than the 8-4:30 life I led for 16 years.

Losing that job shattered me and I was already dealing with depression, anxiety, oppression and separation in my mind and home life. So, after I lost that job, I became a prisoner in my own home and it was a rough time for me personally.  I chose to still do as much as I could for my family from home, but I rarely left the house and came very close to giving up my direct sales business in those times as well.

I only left the house to take my son to school and visit the coffee shop to get out of the house once a day. The coffee shop was a lifesaver and helped me take online classes in 2009 for a while as well.

What I learned in the 18 months that I did not hold a job outside the home was that people are not defined by their jobs and the status that job provides. 

Since that time, I have worked for AAA Auto Club, TN VA, Sears (in GA),  a gas station, a bookstore and Home Depot before joining the TWRA family working as an accounts payable clerk.  My life has taken many turns over the years but I am still here and working hard to help others no matter what life has thrown my way.

Your Job does not equal your life and if it does, something is really wrong with your value system. Yes, we must have an income to get along in this world, but please don't ever put that job ahead of your family, your faith or your sanity.

Please call 911 if you are in direct danger and call 1-800-799-7233 for options and places to get assistance and get to a safe place.