Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Skeletons

Everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet. These are things they have done and had to live with and overcome throughout their lives. 

You can choose to hate them, despise them and let them fester and hover over your life now and your future or you can pull them out and deal with them, face them head on and ask for forgiveness and ask God to help you get over whatever they are.

I heard someone say over the weekend that they hate the skeletons in their family. I looked up and said, well everyone has skeletons in their closet whether they admit it or hide it.  This person just shook their head and said they hate the fact that these issues still haunt them.  I feel sorry for this person because they are convinced that someone else's issues causes them pain today.

I am fully aware that sometimes the children in a family carry forward some of the same traits or tendencies of their ancestors. But I also know that each generation has the choice and duty to put a stop to the past and start fresh.

I find myself over thinking situations when I was a single parent and will often ask my adult children their opinion of the situation. Both of them usually say something along the lines of, "Mom, you did the best you could with what you knew at the time".  I usually apologize for whatever the situation was and tell them how much I think I messed up.

I know I have messed up a lot over my lifetime but I have always tried to do the right thing and fix the wrongs I knew about at the time. 

I refuse to spend my days and future looking back at my past. I have pulled out all my skeletons and buried them properly. I am determined to look forward and know that God forgave me for all my sins as I asked for his forgiveness and if He chose to forgive me, then who am I to withhold forgiveness from myself.  We often are the hardest on ourselves. 

So, take a few minutes and say a prayer and forgive yourself and love yourself and know that God Loves You, yes You!

If you are in danger, call 911!
If this article helped you, share it with someone you care about.