Sunday, March 16, 2014

Our Body is a Temple

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  (KJV)
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Sometime in 2013 I pretty much quit watching most network television programs.  I became ill and disgusted after watching popular shows on weeknights that were full of sexual content, sexual oriented jokes and other degrading references. I also quit watching the news about 18 months ago because I had enough negativity in my personal life without inviting other people's problems into my mind.  

This is a conscious choice I made for myself and myself only. I do not expect others to understand it or even agree with my decision but I wanted to share it with you and my reason behind it.

When you go through an abusive marriage, bad relationships and very negative things in your life, you come to believe all the lies that your spouse, former friends and even old bosses had told you constantly about yourself.

When you watch the news every day (or 4 times a day) you hear 4 different news report about the same rape or murder case and nothing has really changed and by the end of the day's reports the murderer or rapist is at nearly star status because we have heard his or her name every hour on the hour. It is disgusting how names like Jeffrey Dahmer are better known than the soldiers and sailors who die fighting for our country every day.  

We as adults are 100% responsible for what we choose to listen to and or watch on television. If you choose to watch tv programs that glorify a highly casual sexual lifestyle or awkward single scientists who are fascinated with sex, you are filling your head, mind, thoughts and time with things that are not appropriate for a Christian.  You may think it is harmless but the Bible commands us to focus on God and his word and last time I checked if we are not focused on the Word, then we are usually focusing on something that goes against the Word. 

This also goes for the music we listen to, the jokes we laugh at or tell and everything that we allow to be said in our presence.  You can choose to walk away from those telling off color or inappropriate jokes and not participate or you can choose to laugh at the joke even though it makes you inwardly uncomfortable. 

Whatever you put in your body, is what your heart, mind, soul and mouth will eventually share with others.  Please be aware and pray daily to have your eyes opened to the evil around us. 

Choose to be safe in everything you do.
1-800-799-7233 is the domestic violence hotline. Please seek help YOU are not alone!