Friday, March 14, 2014

Friendly Fire

Friendly fire is usually a phrase we hear on a news station describing how U.S. soldiers or sailors got injured.  However, in every day life we encounter friendly fire from our friends and even family sometimes too.

For example, recently I was speaking with a respected and close friend and asked them to be honest with me. Somehow the conversation turned and I was told that I appear un-plugged and disheveled at times and these comments have circled in my head all week long.  I still am not exactly sure what my friend meant by using these specific words and then she made other comments that were unrelated to the question I asked.

Yes, I asked her to be totally honest, but I was not expecting the friendly fire to come from the direction it did.  Her answers and comments that night have made me re-evaluate many things I typically do without thinking.  I have asked others if I offended them and they say I have not offended them. So, I am choosing to pray for wisdom and still deciding how to proceed.   I truly hope I have not offended anyone and will continue to seek the root of her comments.

I usually do not have to walk on eggshells around this friend so to say I am puzzled is an understatement for sure. This is one of those friends I can have a bad day and be grumpy as all get out and she will still let me hang out in her living room till I get over my own funk. I think the world of her and hope this little speed bump can be leveled out because I don't want to imagine my life without her.

The reason I bring all this up is because sometimes we as women say things off the cuff and abruptly that truly hurt the other person and never know we have hurt them in any shape or form. I still do not know if I will approach this particular subject with this friend again. I will continue to pray about the situation and I hope it is just my over-analytical mind over-thinking her comments that night at dinner.

Choose prayerfully who you share your life secrets with because once they are told, they cannot be erased from the other's mind.  I learned this the hard way with many people in the past 2-3 years and the end of my second marriage. Constantly pray for wisdom and seek wise counsel from those you are close to and choose who you allow into your inner circle.

Be careful my friends and have a great weekend! Remember - Call 911 if you are in immediate danger and the Domestic Violence Hotline is 1−800−799−7233.