Monday, February 10, 2014

Choices, Actions & Consequences - God uses it all!

Yesterday's lesson was about Moses and how his choices led him to the wilderness. Even while leading the Israelites, he made mistakes that cost him the goal of walking into the promised land. So If such a mighty man of God was made to face his choices, we must expect the same. Let that sink in. Yes, You are free to make choices but every choice has a result and some have consequences from society and/or the law of the land.

I was a single parent at the age of 21 and I love my children but it was very difficult on them and me. My parents helped me but I have never referred to those years as rosy. I was blessed to land an office job and had insurance and a paycheck to keep myself and children afloat and in our own apartment. 

In 2012, I quit my job at the mall in Warner Robins, GA and moved back to Tennessee so that I was again in my safe place with my parents and family close by.  My 2nd marriage had just ended (well we were separated) and the emotions were ugly and raw and I took the first job I was offered.

This job was at a bookstore and I was pretty good on the register and didn't mind cleaning up at night but I hated the 'magazine offers' we had to offer to every customer that used a debit/credit card because in my opinion the 'offer' was a scam.  I was told that I was not selling enough memberships and they cut my hours and I left that job. 

Two weeks later, I would be offered a job at a local gas station making $7.75 an hour to run the register, clean inside, stock the shelves and even clean the bathrooms.  I hated having to clean the bathrooms because the public is mean and even teenage girls were making fun of those of us working there and called us stupid to our face.  It was a hard job to hold onto but I stayed there 3 months.

Then my dad heard that Home Depot was hiring and I went for an interview and I got a cashier job paying more than the gas station and I was not going to have to do anything but help customers and ring up their purchases.  I loved my job at Home Depot and left there on good terms so that If I ever need it, I can return there for a part time job.  I am currently working in an office again as an accounts payable clerk doing work similar to what I did from 1992-2008 with state government.

I tell you about my 'work journey' to show you how with God's help I was able to work the ugliest job I ever had and still keep money coming in. We don't always have the glamorous jobs, but if we do the job we have currently to the best of our ability, we will be blessed. 

While Moses was tending Jethro's sheep, he would come in contact with the Burning Bush (Exodus 3). If you don't know the story of Moses, I will tell you that he was born to a Hebrew women and raised in the Egyptian palace and had been ostracized by both the Egyptians and the Hebrew because he didn't really fit with either of them.  The thought came to me yesterday during the lesson that Jethro had to teach Moses how to lead the sheep and that would come in handy later when Moses had to lead the Israelites in their wilderness.  God used the sheep to teach Moses lots of things he would need to know, but Moses probably didn't see that coming at the time.

Just keep in mind that no matter what you are facing today or this week or this month, God will use every lesson you learn and everything you have been through to make you into WHO he is planning for you to be.  Nothing is wasted with God!

If you are in immediate danger, please call 911 for help.  For a 24-hour National Domestic Violence Hotline, call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).