Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace is a song that most people know some of the words to. Whether you grew up in church or not, you know the song and that the inspiration for it comes from the Book of Psalms.

I grew up in church and many of the older hymns are still in my memory banks. When I hear the music from the older hymns, it warms my heart because it brings back good memories. I always loved singing during church services. I don't care whether you are led by a choir with or without musical instruments, the music will move you and give you hope or lead you to pray.

This past Sunday morning, every song during worship reduced me to tears and this one is still playing over and over in my mind on a rainy Tuesday here at the office.

Here are the lyrics from the Chris Tomlin version of Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone).

"Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)"


Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures

[2x]
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, amazing grace

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below,
Will be forever mine.
Will be forever mine.
You are forever mine. 
 
Please remember that no matter what you are facing, God is there and waiting for you to talk to him about everything you are dealing with. It doesn't matter if you are a college student struggling with a class you don't 'get' or a mom with 4 kids who refuse to get along. God is there for all of us and will meet us where we are. Just reach out in prayer. 
 
If you are in a dangerous situation, there are ways out and ways to get help! If you are in immediate danger, please call 911 for help.  For a 24-hour National Domestic Violence Hotline, call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).