Saturday, January 11, 2014

Seeking Silence

I truly enjoy a Saturday that I can spend not driving and relaxing! I had one appointment today and other than that, I had planned to visit friends and spend time with them today.  Early this morning about an hour after I woke up, our power went out. So for about 2 hours today we had no lights, tv, coffee maker or wi-fi. I lit a few strategically placed candles and it was starting out to be a great day!  It was quiet and fun to see my 2 year old grandson just play with his blocks or train set and have some silence in the house.  I did make a run to get coffee and breakfast at a local fast food place so that we would have something warm for breakfast.

Once the power came back on, my parents chose to keep the TV off for a while and it made for a totally different morning in the house.  Off and on throughout the day my mother commented how different the day was without the constant noise of the TV in the background. I smiled and said, "Yes, some days are better with no noise".  In recent months, I have found that I cannot stand constant racket and often can be seen at the office with earplugs in to drown out all the office sounds.  I am not sure what is going on, but I truly seek silence more and more. 

There are times that I have the TV on to watch a football or hockey game and I mute the sound so that I can focus on a project.  Don't get me wrong, I do watch certain TV programs. I enjoy watching NCIS, NCIS:LA, Castle, BONES, Food Network programs, Doctor Who and Star Trek when I can find them. I have chosen to be picky about what I will watch and what attitudes and images I want to be replayed in my mind over and over. 

I believe that we as a society are overloaded with images from every corner of our lives. From the toddlers watching Dinosaur Train, Buzz Lightyear, all the way to grown ups who cannot go a day without watching 3 hours of Stargate.  None of these programs are wrong necessarily but I do suggest moderation because no one learns that much from staring at a screen. I would think you use your brain more by interacting with others and speaking to people to exchange ideas.

Today I also dealt with a raging headache and that is part of the reason I retreated to my room to deal with it.  I actually took medicine today and the headache finally went away enough so I could think again.  When I was in school, there was a week each year that the school would promote turning off our tv's and read instead and today with the power outage, I thought of that again.  I wonder what we could learn if we turned off the tv's, computers, video games and read a couple hours a day??

I hope each of you can find some solace in silence as I do and truly have time for yourself each day.  Stay Safe and seek help if you need it. Visit my friends over at http://resurrectingrobin.com/ to get assistance.