Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Answer your Anger with Prayer.

Anger is a normal feeling when you are going through a rough situation with a co-worker, spouse, family member or friend.  If you can speak to them without escalating the situation, then by all means, talk about the problem and work it out.

Anger in itself is not a sin, but how we act on it can be sinful.  We can have angry feelings and not act on them. This takes discipline and prayer to accomplish.  I worked very hard to not speak about my ex-husband badly in front of the children.  When I would get so angry I couldn't hold it in anymore I was blessed to have my parents and friends that would listen and just let me get it out of my system.

The nights that I was up all night taking care of a sick child all alone were the worst memories I have from those 11 years as a single mom.  Those were the nights that deep down I wanted my ex-husband to see what his actions caused.  But I would always get through the night and be thankful that I had done it without out breaking down and calling him or even letting him know how difficult it was.

You will have anger, fear, distrust and many other negative emotions flow through you when you are separated or divorced.  Starting my day with a Mom focused devotional kept me going most of the time. I am not saying I never had a bad day, because I had lots of them. I was blessed to have understanding bosses and co-workers in the early days after my divorce was final who would just give me space or listen depending on what I needed or wanted.

I always knew the Bible was there but I didn't always read it. These days, I start every day reading my Bible and try to spend my lunch hour reading as well. The Bible is the living, breathing Word of God and we can always go to it to hear from God.

Praying for you to always turn to God (no matter your feelings). God created us and knows the feelings and is never surprised by how we feel or even how we react.  Even if you don't know how or what to pray, I ask you to pray about everything and this will give you peace. Our shoulders are not created to hold the weight of the world, so please ask God to come into your life and help you with whatever you are facing.

If you are in immediate danger, please call 911 for help.  For a 24-hour National Domestic Violence Hotline, call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).