Thursday, November 7, 2013

Watch Your Words

We must carefully choose the words we use in every conversation with everyone we meet. Our words can uplift or tear down a person. I have often referred to the memories of conversations from my past as "tape-recordings in my head".  Every person, whether they admit it or not, have these tape-recordings in their heads.  Self-Esteem is destroyed when constant verbal abuse occurs in relationships and families.  You can choose to believe what people have told you or you can choose to not believe the words you hear.

A controlling abusive person will constantly make fun of you, pick at you and ridicule you in front of family, friends and his and your co-workers.  This is abuse! I often told my second husband that his words toward me were inappropriate and his answer was to either laugh at me or tell me to lighten up. I would come home from a conference with goals set for my business and he would joke about them saying things like, "Oh, you are going this year?  Ya, I believe it when it happens, because you always give up."His words destroyed me for years and I started to believe him.

I had this lifeline in my life called The Holy Bible and I knew God loved me and was always there to listen to me no matter how small the problem or concern was in my life that day. A friend one day sent out an encouraging word and ended the email with Jeremiah 29:11. Ever since then, I have had that verse on my list of quotes to look at every day and several times a day.

Have you ever heard the term "Garbage In, get Garbage Out"?  This basically means that when you put garbage in, you get garbage out.  I first heard it in a computer course at MTSU. It was a reminder to watch your coding and be sure you are programming it correctly. This also applies to people!! You are the product of what you allow to come into your mind. You are the product of the 5 people you spend most of your time with. If you allow people to verbally abuse you with unkind words, constant hurtful statements, you will eventually believe what those people are saying about you.

This is why I suggest daily Bible Readings or devotionals from your favorite author.  You must start your day with the right mindset to keep your day and attitude centered on your focus.  Make a list of quotes and positive statements about yourself and read them daily. Stand in front of a mirror and read them to yourself or shout them to yourself. Yes, it will be awkward at first, because most of us are taught not to brag on ourselves, but YOU are worth it! I believe in you and I know where you are coming from.

I leave you today with the following verses:
Jer. 29:11
Phil. 4:13
Eph. 6:12
Isa. 41:10
Rom. 8:31

If you need a shelter to contact or the Domestic Violence HelpLine, please visit http://www.resurrectingrobin.com/#/home/