Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Broken Pieces Can Be Repaired!

Here are the words to a popular song by Matt Redman "Never Once"

Never Once

Standing on this mountaintop
Looking just how far we've come
Knowing that for every step
You were with us

Kneeling on this battle ground
Seeing just how much You've done
Knowing every victory
Is Your power in us

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Yes, our hearts can say

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Scars and struggles on the way
But with joy our hearts can say
Never once did we ever walk alone
Carried by Your constant grace
Held within Your perfect peace
Never once, no, we never walk alone

Never once did we ever walk alone
Never once did You leave us on our own
You are faithful, God, You are faithful

Every step we are breathing in Your grace
Evermore we'll be breathing out Your praise
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
You are faithful, God, You are faithful
When my first marriage was over, I often referred to myself as 'leftovers' and for a very long time thought no one would ever want me again.  I felt totally broken and useless to the world.  I knew I had a job, insurance and a roof over my head (some years in public housing even) and I had the privilege to raise my children and give them everything I could. But in those years, I didn't see any good coming from me.  
I spent years working with the local Girl Scouts and convinced myself that was my purpose during those years as a single parent.  I treasure those memories because I know I gave something of myself to those girls and most of them I still have contact with through facebook or see them around the community I live in. 
I did not go to church or feel very close to anyone or anything in those years because I had built walls to protect myself, my heart from ever getting hurt again.  I rarely let people see the true broken side of me. I was ashamed of my brokenness and I was ashamed of the abuse my first husband had inflicted on me.  I was very fearful of men that I would come in contact with.  
I knew there was a God and I knew Jesus had died for me on the cross, but because of all I had lived through, I felt as though I was in the bottom of a trash bin and forgotten.  I would eventually relearn that God loved me through all of it and delivered me through the abuse, divorce, financial mess and mental upset.  I took my children to church but lots of times I was going through the motions and God loved me anyway. There were folks praying for me to find my way that I never knew even knew who I was. God orchestrated all of this to bring me back to his loving arms.
I finally started to see that no matter what had happened to me (whether I caused it or not), that God always loved me and always would. There was/is nothing we can do to separate us from God's Love.  I joined a church with a larger group of youth about the same age as my children in 2000 and even joined a ladies bible class on Sunday Mornings.  Finally, I was feeling good about being a single woman in church!
I tell you this part of my story to show you that God takes your broken pieces, your mess and creates a masterpiece out of it.  God allows U-Turns and will always have an open door for you!  You don't have to wait until you fix it all yourself.  Take that step, call your friend that is always inviting you to services and go with her and Pray.  Your life will not change overnight but if you allow God to work on you by opening your heart, you will find hope again, just like I did. 
I pray if you need assistance you will call the local Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). There is NO SHAME in asking for help! You have a life to live and I pray you ask God to show you your pathway.