Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Prison of Abuse

Prisons are not all made of stone with fences around them. A prison can be military housing in a foreign country or a small farmhouse in Tennessee.  When you are living with someone who controls you through verbal abuse, intimidation, isolation and physical abuse, you sometimes are afraid to leave that house or building.  This fear is what the abuser feeds on and controls you with.

I lived with an abuser in a foreign country and put up with being isolated from family and even friends he said he approved of.  I was petrified to leave our assigned military quarters because if I spoke to someone he didn't approve of, I was punished for it.  He was very suspicious of everyone I spoke to and practically forbade me even joining the enlisted spouses group until his Sergeant's spouse called me and specifically invited me to the meetings.  After that, I had to go to keep up appearances that everything was good at home.

I am certain that my depression and issues with finances and men in general were born in those military quarters on that Army base.  I will be forever indebted to the friends I had during those years I was stationed in the Panama Canal Zone. One of these Christian women, I still speak to thanks to technology and she knows exactly who she is.  The rest of those women who I met in Panama, I have not seen since I boarded a plane on December 1, 1991 with my two small children in tow.

Please reach out to those women who appear scared and do not socialize very much. Always offer them a smile and a hug and continually pray for them. Everyone needs our prayers and our Lord knows what they need. When someone's name comes across your mind and you can't shake the feeling that something is going on with them, call them if you can or email them and let them know you are thinking of them. God will use you to get through to others if you allow Him to work through you.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 (KJV) Pray without ceasing.


If you need to reach a local shelter or the Domestic Violence Help Line, Please visit http://www.resurrectingrobin.com/#/home/